Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Book review: From Notting Hill with Love Actually - by Ali McNamara

If you could live in a movie, which one would it be? If you're a fan of movies, know most of the lines of your favourite ones by heart and never stop dreaming you'll eventually bump into a movie star in a bookshop (Notting Hill), meet the man of your dreams on the top of the Empire State Building on Valentine's day (Sleepless In Seattle) or have two guys fight for you in a fountain (Bridget Jones's Diary), then I guess this is the book for you!

I bought this after discovering Ali McNamara from Breakfast at Darcy’s (see review page), which is actually her second novel: I loved her writing style and I wanted to read more from the author. I ended up reading it over a weekend: I just couldn’t put it down, as if my hands were glued to the book. I guess I was sort of involved in the story because Scarlett, the main character, reminded me a lot of a person... well, myself. She lives in a sort of dreamworld populated by movie characters and she believes that movie moments can happen in real life too, although everyone else around her has a different opinion and thinks she should grow up and stop living in a world of her own (and here’s where I realised that Scarlett was me!).

When, only months away from her wedding, she gets the opportunity to house-sit a friend’s house in Notting Hill (the setting of her favourite movie!), she is determined to prove that she is right and that she will be able to live movie moments, while she’s there. The very minute she sets foot in Notting Hill and bumps into the funny and eccentric Oscar, her whole life changes and, although she finds it hard at first to get along with her next-door neighbour, grumpy Sean, it won’t be hard for her to prove her point that movie moments do happen in real life, too. And while she lives in a parallel world for a while, she also gets the chance to start looking for her mother, who abandoned her and her father when she was only a few months old.

It will be a long, complicated and very funny journey, which will help Scarlett discover her inner self and be free to be herself.

This book is absolutely a must read.









Have you read From Notting Hill With Love...Actually already? Leave a comment and let me know what you thought of it. 


0 commenti:

Post a Comment