Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Book review: Winged Descent - by Heather Allen Dencker

Sometimes, just like bumping into people, you happen to bump totally by chance into books you’d never thought you’d be reading and you end up falling in love with them.

This is what has just happened to me. The author started following me on Twitter and, since I noticed she was a writer too, I decided to follow back and check her website. That was about it for a few weeks, until all her tweets about her book and this Kendrick guy started making me curious and I decided to download it on my Kindle. A couple more weeks passed before I managed to find some “me time” to simply sit down and read and it happened over the weekend.


I woke up on Sunday morning at 5:30, groaned for a while when I realised what time it was and when I finally understood I wasn’t going to fall asleep again, I decided to pick up my Kindle and start reading. It was a cold, cloudy day and being in bed with my duvet pulled up to my chin was one of the most inviting ways of spending the day.

I’m not that much into fantasy, I have to say it; I’m much more of a romance fan and so far I’ve only read the Twilight saga and the Fallen saga because there’s a love story in it… All these new books coming out about vampires and supernatural creatures don’t really catch my attention on the shelves of a bookstore. So when I started reading Winged Descent I honestly didn’t know what to expect. I had read the synopsis on Amazon and I wasn’t sure I’d be liking a story with mythological creatures and this is probably why it took me so long to start reading it (when I buy a new book, I usually HAVE to start reading it straight away, as I can’t keep curiosity at bay).

But boy, was I wrong! I was hooked by page three and when my stomach started grumbling at 10:00, I realised I had been reading non-stop for at least three hours. I had to put it down and eat something, but then I went back to my room and carried on reading until lunch time. A friend of mine sent me a text saying she’d come visit me in the afternoon and I was terribly tempted to make up some excuse like “I’ve got some contagious illness, please don’t come by”, so that I could go on reading… But then it felt bad, so I unwillingly took a two-hour break and went back to reading it as soon as she was gone.

It sounds silly, I know, but I was so engrossed in the story I just couldn’t go to bed without knowing how it all ended; every time I reached the end of one chapter, I told myself I’d read only one more and then I’d put it down, but it never worked… It was 11:00 pm when I finished it and by that time I was totally, hopelessly in love with Kendrick and wished so hard he was real. I personally would’ve gone to Centaura with him any time, needing no second bidding.


You’re probably wondering what I’m talking about, so here’s an idea of what the story is about: Savannah is an ordinary woman, who lives an ordinary life in Folly Beach, South Carolina; until one day she meets someone on the beach, a stranger sitting on the sand like any other tourist she’s so used to seeing around only… he has wings! Although she’s startled by him at first, his eyes have a soothing effect on her and after they start chatting and she understands she can trust him, she ends up inviting him over to her house. Kendrick, that’s his name, is a mythological creature who comes from a planet called Centaura but he isn’t a normal half-horse, half-man centaur, as his mother was a human; he has a human body and white fluffy wings attached to his back and he has come to Earth to find a human wife who can give him a child, because the half-bloods like him are not able to reproduce among themselves.

From that moment on, Savannah’s life changes and, when her best friend Conner comes back to Folly Beach from Atlanta, determined to ask her to marry him, things get quite complicated.
I won’t tell you more than this, but I can assure you that you’ll love it.

I reckon the first person point of view is a great choice, because every chapter is told by one of the three main characters (Savannah, Kendrick, Conner), so the reader is able to feel what each of them feels and see things through different eyes and perspectives. I guess that’s why I got so engrossed in the story, because it felt as if I was living it myself.


The author has a great way of describing feelings and building dialogues; the story doesn’t lack action and sometimes it will keep you hanging from one chapter to the other, making you want to read more.
I was quite happy to have discovered this book and the author (if you’re reading this: you did a great job, Heather, and I can’t wait to read more!) and this also gave me a further proof that you don’t have to be an internationally renowned author with a six-figure publishing contract to write a good book: if you’re serious about what you do and you put your heart and soul into it, you’re just bound to be successful, with or without an agent or a contract with a big publisher.

So, if you want to be swept away, you definitely should buy Winged Descent; just make sure you have a whole day off and enough food and water by you (so you don’t have to put it down to make lunch).
You’ll be hooked by the end of the first chapter, even if fantasy isn’t your genre, trust me.







Have you read Winged Descent already? Leave a comment and let me know what you thought of it.

1 commenti:

  1. […] you’ve read my review of book one, Winged Descent, you know how much I loved this story, even though I never considered […]

    ReplyDelete