Thursday, January 3, 2013

Book review: From Notting Hill to New York... actually - by Ali McNamara

Here we go again: Scarlett and Sean are back! And she's about to conquer the States, with the help of her dear - a bit eccentric maybe? - friend, Oscar. Are you ready to fly to New York with Scarlett? Fasten your seat belts, we're about to take off!

It's funny how you impatiently wait for a book to be released and, once you're finally holding it in your hands, you don't want to start reading it because you don't want to reach the last page.
This is exactly what happened to me with Ali McNamara's latest book. Luckily, it hadn't been long since I first entered Scarlett's world (if you read the previous reviews, you'll know that I had only just read her first book "From Notting Hill with Love... Actually"), but even so, I couldn't wait to read more about Scarlett and Sean. I'll admit it - I think I already did it in another post - I am a hopeless romantic and any book with a love story hooks me, be it vampires, centaurs, angels, bad guys, you name it. But this book didn't hook me just because of the love story (boy, do I wish Sean really existed, though!) but because it's also funny, even adventurous at times (Scarlett really knows how to make the most of her life - kudos!) and I really find myself thinking like Scarlett at times!

Well, although I promised myself I would only read a chapter a day, so that it wouldn't be over too soon, I obviously didn't do it... All it took was a rainy Sunday morning in December, a lovely, warm duvet, and I magically left my bed and my room and was teleported to New York, walking around the streets with Scarlett and Oscar, and falling in love with Sean... Is this normal? Well, I think it is, if you love books as much as I do. Or maybe I'm just a crazy person and should be locked up in a madhouse (as long as there are books there, though!)

Anyway, do you want to know what the book's about, I guess? Okay, just a few words though, as you don't want me to spoil all the fun, do you?


So, like I said - and as you may have guessed from the title - it is Scarlett's story again. We left her on the London Eye (the panoramic wheel in London, England) with romantic Sean pouring out his heart to her, right? Well, Scarlett and Sean are now living together in Notting Hill (YAY for Scarlett! I'd love to live in Notting Hill!) and she's managing her pop-corn machines company from there, while her father has moved to New York to take care of the American part of the business. But, if you remember Scarlett from the first book, well, you know she needs adventures and dreams (and movie moments) in her life and a quiet, romantic relationship with Sean might not be enough for her right now.

Discovering an old dragonfly-shaped brooch hidden in a box will mark the start of a new adventure for Scarlett and, as Sean suggests she takes a trip to New York to ask her father where that brooch comes from, get ready for another unpredictable adventure! The brooch will uncover secrets, help her meet people, even find a new goal in her life. And if you add Oscar as her travel companion (Sean being too busy to take days off work) and Jamie, a UK reporter with whom Scarlett seems to get along a little too well, you know you're up for fun, laughter and... yes, a little bit of trouble, too!

If you liked Ali's first book, you will absolutely love this one too! Go grab yourselves a copy, you'll have the time of your life! (Especially if you've dreamed of going to New York for years, like I have...)







Have you read "From Notting Hill to New York... actually" already? Leave a comment and let me know what you thought of it.


0 commenti:

Post a Comment