Friday, September 26, 2014

Blog tour: Prima Donna by Laura Drewry


Prima Donna
By: Laura Drewry
Releasing September 23rd, 2014
Loveswept




In USA Today bestselling author Laura Drewry’s witty, sizzling, and tender romance for readers of Jill Shalvis and Susan Mallery, a woman who can’t slow down discovers that the perfect guy is in hot pursuit.

Even when her hair salon goes under and she’s on the brink of breaking, Regan Burke keeps her “I’m just fine” attitude. She’s had a tough life, coping with a difficult family and keeping her act together . . . barely. Right now, she just needs a job, any job, so she can pay her mother’s medical bills. It’s the exact wrong time for Carter Scott to come into her life—and to be so damn sexy, so distracting, and so determined to get close.

Carter isn’t looking for anything serious—his heart belongs to the kids who depend on his pediatric practice—but something about Regan makes him reconsider. Maybe it’s the scars she hides so well, the secrets she can’t share. Carter knows all about that kind of pain, and he wants to help. But offering Regan a job in his office only makes things worse, even if their chemistry is off the charts. Lucky for them both, Carter isn’t about to let go of love without a fight.




Laura Drewry had been scribbling things for years before she decided to seriously sit down and write. After spending eight years in the Canadian north, Laura now lives back home in southwestern British Columbia with her husband, three sons, a turtle named Sheldon, and an extremely energetic German shepherd. She loves old tattered books, good movies, country music, and the New York Yankees.






Hello Laura! Welcome to Roberta’s Dreamworld and thank you for your time. First of all, tell us something about yourself, both as a writer and as a person.

Thank you so much for inviting me!  I live in southwestern British Columbia with my husband and our three teenage boys, so life pretty much revolves around food, Marvel vs DC, XBox and Lord of the Rings.  Every once in a while, when they’re not paying attention, I manage to slip in a movie like “Love Actually” or “Crazy Stupid Love” but it doesn’t happen as often as I’d like.  :o)

I seem to have 2 separate personalities.  In my ‘normal’ life, I’m fairly well organized: labels on the soup cans face out, books are alphabetized, Tupperware lids stacked neatly in the drawer, and closets are colour-coded and sectioned.  But for some reason, in my writing life. . .well, that’s where my alternate personality comes out.  My desk is constantly buried under mounds of steno books, binders, coffee mugs, pens, pictures, various school notices and, of course, a layer or two of multi-coloured Post-It notes on which I scribble ideas, names, bits of dialogue and miscellaneous ideas that make absolutely no sense to anyone but me.  I have no idea why I’m not the same in all aspects of my life, but. . .it seems to work.  LOL

How/when did you realize you wanted to become a writer? 

I don’t remember an exact “aha” moment; it was just something that was always there.  I started off writing horrible sappy poetry in high school and tinkered for a lot of years afterward, but it wasn’t until my second child was born that I started to write with a purpose.

Let’s speak about “PRIMA DONNA”. We’ve read the synopsis but can you tell us a little more about what the book is about?

PRIMA DONNA is the second book in my new series which revolves around four women, each of whom has her own struggles she must learn to manage or overcome.   Regan’s been dealt a pretty tough hand, and a relationship with any guy is just not in the cards for her.  She doesn’t have the time, the interest, or the energy it takes to make someone else happy, but what she could really use is a quick distraction, and that’s what she thinks she’s getting with Carter.  Like her, he’s spent his life dodging any mention of commitment, minivans or picket fences, but it’s New Year’s Eve, they’re both consenting adults, so why shouldn’t they have this one night together?  
One night and they’ll both move on with their lives, or so they think, but life has other plans for them.
It’s a story of how two people, who’ve spent their lives keeping everyone at bay, learn that sometimes being strong means letting yourself be vulnerable.  

How did you come up with the idea and how did you create the characters?

Carter and Regan first appeared in PLAIN JAYNE (the first book in this series) and I knew as soon as they presented themselves to me that theirs would be the next story, but it took a lot of back-and-forth, a lot of rewriting and a LOT of deleted pages before it all came clear.  I don’t outline before I write, so it’s usually a surprise when I finally get the characters fleshed out completely.  I do tend to use photos of people when I’m creating a character, but not because I think my character looks like that person.  I base it more on the expression in the photo or the body language.  In Carter’s case, for example, I based him on a picture of a hot guy who, at first glance, looks like trouble, but there was something in the way his head’s tilted and the way he’s looking at the camera that makes you think maybe he’s not so sure of himself, maybe all these years of being the playboy have been a cover for something, and that maybe all he needs is one person – one woman – to demand more from him, to set the bar higher, and to make him want to be better.
As soon as I saw that picture, I knew I’d met Carter.

If you should describe your books in three words, what would you pick?

3 words.  Hmmm. I guess I would say they’re fun, tender and either sizzling or sweet depending on which book you’re reading.  LOL

Do you have any favorite authors and did they influence your choice of the genre?

Oooooh, I have a lot of favourite authors starting with Kristan Higgins, Stephen King, Julie Garwood, Debbie Macomber, Linwood Barclay. . . I could go on and on, but the list keeps growing with every new (or new-to-me) author I find.  I don’t think any one of them specifically influenced my choice of genre, but I do think their work influences me in that they all make me want to be better.   

What else do you enjoy doing, when you’re not writing? 

Reading, of course.  :o)  Romance novels are tops on my list, but as you can tell from the authors I listed above, I enjoy all sorts of different genres.  I love watching movies, I’m a huge fan of ‘Friends’ (yup, even all these years later) and my favourite sport is baseball (go Yankees!).  My husband keeps trying to get me interested in fishing, but I’m not much of a water person – despite being a Pisces – and if I’m going to be on the boat, I much prefer whale watching.  He’s also recently become a bee-keeper so I’m learning all about the little critters as well as teaching myself how to make candles.

As a writer do you get support from your family and friends?

Absolutely!  I’m incredibly blessed to be surrounded by such amazing people who are always encouraging and supportive.  My husband is the most patient man in the world and if I feed him Kraft Dinner (again) because I’m elbow deep in writing a new scene, he’s fine with it.

What are your dreams and plans for your future as a writer?

Easy – to just keep writing, to keep learning the craft, and to hopefully touch readers with my stories.  :o)  I have quite a few ideas bashing around in my head, some of which are stand-alone books and some are parts of new series, so it will be nice to get those written.  

Would you like to say something to the readers to encourage them to read your books?

I would love for all of you to read my books, and if you do, please let me know what you think.  It’s an amazing thing for an author to be able to share her stories with readers, and my wish is that you never reach the bottom of your To-Be-Read pile. :o)



WEBSITE | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | GOODREADS |



I have a new book boyfriend. And his name is Carter Scott. In just a few pages he has reached the top spot of my "Book boyfriends I wish were real" chart. As I'm writing this, it's only been a few hours since I finished the book and I still haven't been able to get over him - so if my review doesn't make much sense, please know that it's because I'm suffering from a bad hangover (book hangover, that is).
This book made me laugh, swoon and even made my heart melt a few times. I was glued to my Kindle and reading it every free minute I had. The plot is very simple, with no particular angst or tension that will make you hold your breath, but I think this is what made me love the book so much: because the story feels real, and it's something anyone could relate to. There's no need for sharp plot twists, awful events or angsty moments to keep the reader reading on. You'll simply want to know what happens next and if the two characters will get their HEA.
Regan is a fantastic heroine. I loved her from the very first chapter. I loved her strength and the way she’s working hard to help her mother, leaving her own needs to the side. My heart broke for her, especially after she told the story of her life and why her mother was acting like that. I loved her interaction with Carter and all her witty remarks whenever he said one of his bad pick-up lines.
I so loved Carter’s lines! He was so funny. Even though I haven’t seen a single Star Wars movie, I enjoyed all the references (and I would be willing to sit through a Star Wars marathon if that meant I could have Carter on the couch next to me.) :) The one I loved best? This one: “Are you related to Yoda? 'Cause yodalicious.” It cracked me up!
Womanizers and players are not my favourite kind of heroes. But Carter… aww, Carter. He’s a player, yes, but the reasons why he’s doing it make up for his behaviour. After he falls for Regan, he’s willing to change and be the man she needs him to be – and this is absolutely the most romantic and selfless gesture a man could do. I want to find him and marry him! Ahem, I got a little sidetracked here, sorry. :)
I loved him when he with his patients, the way he managed to let them see him more like a friend than a doctor. I loved his interactions with little Hazel, and how he took every single patient’s case to heart. And let's talk about the scene where he’s holding baby Sophia in his arms... I totally melted right then and there. If I'd had any doubts about whether or not he’d make it into my book boyfriends chart, they faded away at that scene.
If by the time you’ve reached the last page you haven’t envied Regan and wished to be her at least once, then let me tell you there’s something seriously wrong with you. :) There were times I wanted to be able to jump into the book, move Regan aside and wrap my arms around Carter. He's that awesome!
Apart from falling for Carter, there are some great side characters too, that make the story so much more fun. Starting from Jayne and Nick (whose story is told in the first book in the series and that I definitely have to read asap), to Julia and Rossick (whose story I hope to read in a future book) as well as Maya and Ellie (please, can we have a book about them too? They would make great heroines! Especially if Ellie fell for Brett… Laura, it's time to get back to work and start writing! *winks*)

Anyway, I could go on and on telling you how much I loved this book, but it would become a veeeery long review and it wouldn't do it justice anyway. So I’ll simply say: don’t waste another minute and buy this book now! And maybe once you've read it, come back here and tell me what you thought of it (and of Carter - LOL).










AMAZON | B&N | ITUNES |



Click to check out the other stops




$25.00 Gift Card to Book Retailer of Choice
and Copy of PLAIN JAYNE by Laura Drewry 


a Rafflecopter giveaway








4 commenti:

  1. Roberta - thank you SO much! Thank you for being part of the PRIMA DONNA blog tour AND for this fabulous and funny review! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me, Laura. It was my pleasure. I only need to find a way to get over Carter now. No book boyfriend will ever hold a candle to him. So, well, thank you for spoiling my future reading experiences! ;) But it was worth it, so I forgive you.

      Delete
    2. LOL Carter was a LOT of fun to write. :) It's so good to hear others love him like I do.

      Delete
  2. Great Interview, Great Review, Thank you for hosting!

    ReplyDelete