Thursday, October 16, 2014

Blog tour: Going Home by Stacy Finz


Going Home 
A Nugget Romance # 1
By: Stacy Finz
Releasing October 13th, 2014 
Lyrical / Kensington 



The small mountain town of Nugget, California, has a strange way of giving people unexpected reasons to start over—and find the most irresistible chances to fall in love… 

Maddy Breyer needs to prove she can make her own life after betrayal blew up her previous happily-ever-after. Staying totally focused on renovating a decrepit mansion into a bed-and-breakfast might help her—and this recession-hit town—finally turn things around. But the mysterious new sheriff is the kind of lawbreaking temptation that’s an even bigger challenge to resist… 

Detective Rhys Shepard is only back in Nugget long enough to care for his ailing father. He’s got a big-city promotion far away from this place that never accepted him. He does not need a sudden crime wave to solve. Or one leggy case of heartbreak stirring up all kinds of trouble and challenging his rules. Which might explain why he’s suddenly finding it hard to leave…








Stacy Finz was an award-winning reporter for the San Francisco Chronicle. After more than twenty years covering notorious serial killers, naked-tractor-driving farmers, fanatical foodies, aging rock stars and weird Western towns, she figured she finally had enough material to launch a career writing fiction. In 2012 she won the Daphne du Maurier Award for unpublished single-title mystery/suspense. She lives in Berkeley, California with her husband.



Hello Stacy! Welcome to Roberta’s Dreamworld and thank you for your time. First of all, tell us something about yourself, both as a writer and as a person.

I was a newspaper reporter for nearly 30 years (I guess I just gave away my age) and recently I made the switch to fiction.  I live in Berkeley, California, but grew up in the country.

How/when did you realize you wanted to become a writer? 

My first year in college I took English 101, which required a lot of essay writing. The professor used to read the best ones to the class and often chose mine.  The fact that he thought I had something to say was thrilling. But having a whole classroom as an audience . . . whoa. That’s when I knew.

Let’s speak about “Going Home”. We’ve read the synopsis but can you tell us a little more about what the book is about?

It’s about two people trying to overcome great sadness, trying to adjust to change and trying to do everything they can not tofall in love, because at this point in their lives opening themselves up like that is too risky. It’s also about finding and making a family--and not necessarily a traditional one. 

How did you come up with the idea and how did you create the characters?

I first came up with the town of Nugget on a trip to my aunt’s cabin in California’s Sierra Nevada. It’s close to where the Donner Party got stranded in the 1800s and had to resort to cannibalism to survive. That alone sold me. But the mountains, the trees, the rivers and lakes are beyond gorgeous. I thought what a beautiful setting for a fictional town. I liked the idea of having a secluded place where the residents had to be pretty self-sufficient to thrive.
My characters are amalgams of people I know, people I’ve covered as a journalist, but mostly they’re people I would want to hang out with. 

If you should describe your books in three words, what would you pick?

Oh, this is a hard one.  I guess I’d have to say quirky, sweet and romantic, not necessarily in that order.

Do you have any favorite authors and did they influence your choice of the genre?

If I told you all of them it would take all day, but for small-town contemporary romance, which is what I write, I love Robyn Carr, Kristan Higgins, Jill Shalvis and Roxanne St. Claire. 

What else do you enjoy doing, when you’re not writing? 

I love to read. I just downloaded THE FREE, a novel by Willie Vlautin. It’s not a romance and I think it’s going to wind up being pretty heavy. But he fronts a band I really love, (music is a big thing to me, although I don’t play and can barely carry a tune) so I thought I’d dig in. Besides reading and music, I love to cook and entertain.  

As a writer do you get support from your family and friends?

A lot. My husband, brother, sister-in-law and most of my friends are journalists, so they think this new chapter in my life is amazing. My mother, aunt and sister are my beta readers. Of course any word I put to paper is brilliant, according to them. My late father would’ve been over the moon.

What are your dreams and plans for your future as a writer?

My biggest ambition is to be happy and be all that I can be (to borrow a phrase from the U.S. Army), meaning I want to take my writing as far as I can go. 

Would you like to say something to the readers to encourage them to read your books?

I think my Nugget series is getting better and better and the characters are people who are entertaining, complicated, even screwed up, but above all, they’re the kind you’d want for your friends. If you like the other romance authors I mentioned, I think you’d like my books.

Thanks so much for having me on. 



WEBSITE | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | GOODREADS |


Rhys slowly rocked the glider with his right leg. “Maddy, I don’t know what the Wellmont mold is. What I do know is that you’re clever and you’re funny and you’re beautiful. . . . Look what you’ve accomplished in the short time you’ve been here. Most people would’ve written off the Lumber Baron as a scrape. When you’re done with it it’ll be the pride of Nugget. From where I’m standing this Gabriella woman wasn’t your problem. If your husband couldn’t see what I see . . . Well, he doesn’t deserve you.”
She pressed her face against his shoulder and mumbled, “You might not say that if you’d ever seen Gabriella.”
He gently lifted her onto his lap, his soft lips just inches away from her ear. “I don’t need to. I’ve seen you.”
Maddy looked at him with such wonder in her eyes that it mesmerized him. He bent his head, gently brushing her lips with his. The kiss started innocently enough. But when she wrapped her arms around his neck, he was lost. He sank his mouth over hers, pulling her firmly against him…





AMAZON | B&N | ITUNES | KOBO |



Click to check out the other stops



Five iBook Copies of GOING HOME


a Rafflecopter giveaway





1 commenti: