Sunday, December 7, 2014

Book review: Destination Wedding by Robyn Neeley







I discovered this author during the tour of one of her book, Batter Up, and I immediately fell in love with her writing style. Gritty, steamy romance is not my cup of tea, and hers is anything but, so I was really looking forward to reading more of her books. Just like I hoped, the author didn’t disappoint me.
Destination Wedding is included in a boxed set I’d bought a few months ago, but I never got the chance to read it until I signed up for the tour of the sequel of this book. I’m so glad I finally took the time to read this because it was hilarious!
I started it while waiting at the doctor’s (yep, always bring my Kindle with me when I know I’ll get awfully bored) and I nearly told the doctor I couldn’t go in when it was my turn, because I didn’t want to stop reading.
It’s a super funny book, but also romantic, in true Robyn Neeley’s style, and it would be the perfect plot for a movie. At first I thought it’d be something similar to The Wedding Planner movie, with Jennifer Lopez and Matthew McConaughey, and since I adore that movie, I was sure I was going to like this book. Turns out the book is nothing like the movie, and actually is ten thousand times better than the movie, and so much more fun! All the unexpected twists and comical situations made me laugh out loud (not when I was at the doctor’s, obviously) and some parts were so romantic I was dreamy-eyed. After all, who wouldn’t want to get married to the man of her dreams on an Hawaiian isle? 
Kate is a California-based wedding planner (and she already got my complete respect at that, since it was one of my dream jobs) and is flying from New York to Hawaii where she’ll be organizing the wedding that would most probably promote her to partner in the company she’s working. 
Problem number one is: she’s scared of flying. Imagine being on a plane for 13 long hours and with lots of turbulence as the icing on the cake. At least she’s sitting next to a handsome blond-haired, blue-eyed stranger! Unfortunately, the hunk disappears with the restroom excuse after a few minutes and she can’t do anything but start reciting her “I do, I do, I do” calming mantra to soothe her nerves.
When a few minutes later Drew, the handsome stranger, returns, the plane meets some major turbulence and Kate goes crazy, thinking they’re going to die, and the only thing that manages to calm her is the mind-blowing kiss the handsome guy plants on her lips.
After that, shocked and a little tipsy from a little too much free booze, Kate falls asleep and when she wakes up after the plane has landed safely, the hottie is nowhere to be seen. The last thing she’s expecting is to find out that the man who kissed her on the plane and caused her sexy dreams is actually the groom she’d planning the wedding of!
The poor woman doesn’t know that, when Drew claimed he was going to the restroom, he actually went to meet his identical twin brother and begged him to switch seats with him because he didn’t want to fly next to a crazy cat lady. Luke, the “older” twin, is actually the guy who kissed Kate, although he was pretending to be Drew. See the comical twist in here? Yes, it’s exactly like you’re thinking. Luke meant to tell Kate the truth, but things got complicated during the flight and once they were all in Hawaii and staying at the same hotel, he didn’t manage to come clean with her before she met Drew and his fiancĂ©e Lauren.
I don’t want to say more, because it will spoil all the fun, but trust me when I say that some situations will crack you up! I’ve always liked the idea of stories about identical twins, and I have to say the author did an amazing job using the clichĂ©d “twin-swap” theme and turning it into something fresh and hilarious.
I really liked Kate. She was so funny with her double personality, a very professional wedding planner one moment and a total klutz a minute later.
As for Luke, at first I was a little annoyed by his behavior. I couldn’t understand why he didn’t tell Kate straight away, even after they reached the hotel, that he was actually Drew’s twin and the man who’d kissed her. I understood where he came from, since his brother seemed to be the one who always got the girls, but it’s not as if he were a teenager. I mean, he was a grown man and should really stop being afraid of women liking Drew better because of his easy-going attitude—totally opposite from him. I didn’t particularly like him when, in the one of the last twists, he brought his ex into the story, and how he acted toward Kate. He didn’t even hear her out, and I thought that was so unfair.
But then again, when he worked hard to make Kate fall for him, I thought he was a real cutie and I was really hoping Kate would understand he’d been the man she’d kissed on the plane.
The secondary characters, especially Myles, Kate’s assistant, provide a lot of entertaining scenes. I didn’t like Drew that much, as he didn’t really seem very involved in the wedding and made me wonder why he’d even proposed at all. Lauren, the bride-to-be, was way better than I’d given her credit for. When she enters the story, the first time Kate meets her, I thought, “Here we go. Another rich brat who’ll drive poor Kate crazy,” but I was proven wrong scene after scene, and I found myself wondering why she didn’t see how uninterested Drew was.
I was really looking forward to reading the sequel, Drew and Lauren’s story, and I started it the moment I finished this book. Stay tuned for my review of Holiday Wedding tomorrow.
If you enjoy clean romantic comedy, you should pick up this book. It’ll provide a few hours of fun, sweet romance and klutzy moments. 








1 commenti:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete