Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Blog tour: Taking Fire by Lindsay McKenna


Taking Fire 
Shadow Warriors #7
By: Lindsay McKenna
Releasing February 24th, 2015 
HQN Books




She dances on the edge of life…and death 

Not all are meant to walk in the light. Marine Corps Sergeant Khat Shinwari lives among the shadows of the rocky Afghani hills, a Shadow Warrior by name and by nature. She works alone, undercover and undetected—until a small team of US Navy SEALs are set upon by the Taliban…and Khat is forced to disobey orders to save their lives. 

To go rogue. 

Now, hidden deep in the hills with injured SEAL Michael Tarik in her care, Khat learns that he's more than just a soldier. In him, she sees something of herself and of what she could be. Now duty faces off against the raw, overwhelming attraction she has for Mike. And she must decide between the safety of the shadows…and risking everything by stepping into the light.








Lindsay McKenna is proud to have served her country in the U.S. Navy as an aerographer’s mate third class—also known as a weather forecaster. She is one of the original founders of the military romance subgenre and loves to combine heart-pounding action with soulful and poignant romance. Her latest book is the romantic suspense Taking Fire.





Hello Lindsay! Welcome to Roberta’s Dreamworld and thank you for your time. First of all, tell us something about yourself, both as a writer and as a person.
How/when did you realize you wanted to become a writer? 

When I was nine years old I knew I was either going to be a writer and an artist.  I wasn’t sure which, but then, out of the blue, I started writing at age 13.  I didn’t get my foot in the door of publishing until I was 35 years old.  I had 22 years worth of trying to write and one thousand reject slips to prove it.  But, once I got into publishing, I’ve stayed now, for thirty-three years, 135 books published thus far, 23 million sold and in 32 foreign languages.  I have always been an innovator in the romance publishing world.

Let’s speak about Taking Fire. We’ve read the synopsis but can you tell us a little more about what the book is about?

A story of a US military woman caught between her father’s ancient Afghan customs he wants her to fulfill and her sacrificing  herself personal life in order to protect her relatives and tribe in Afghanistan.  When US Navy SEAL unexpectedly Mike Tarik drops into her life,  love opens her up for the first time.  And then, Khat is torn between surrendering to the love she has for this courageous SEAL or walking away from him forever.  Will love or duty win out?


How did you come up with the idea and how did you create the characters?

I have friends who are Middle Eastern and I wanted to show some facets of them that I don’t think many people know about.  

If you should describe your books in three words, what would you pick?

Intense, gritty, edgy

Do you have any favorite authors and did they influence your choice of the genre?

Ernest Hemingway influenced me as a young teen of thirteen.  “For Whom The Bells Toll,” was a World War 1 romance with a sad ending for the characters.  After reading it, I had this passionate desire to write love stories.  I do to this day, but mine have HEA’s, happily ever after, endings.

What else do you enjoy doing, when you’re not writing? 

I’m an amateur wildlife photographer and I love to get out in the fresh air and sunshine to find wild animals I can photograph.  I also walk our Golden Retriever, Cody, every day to get my butt out of the chair and get some physical exercise.

As a writer do you get support from your family and friends?

Yes I do.  I don’t think anyone like myself, who has a long term career as a writer the last 33 years, can do without it.  My husband, David, is a wonderful plotter and asks key, critical questions about my characters from time to time.  We’ll sit and talk about a plot, a character or a scene.  He also helps me with my Indie career with Blue Turtle Publishing, my company, by being my accountant.  I have hired a manager for my company (and she’s also a dear friend and IT expert) to help run it, as well as do scheduling on the many books I’ll be putting out through BTP.  

Dave also helps me keep my busy schedule with my Indie endeavors.  For example, Delos Series is a new, exciting series that I believe my readers will love because it’s so different from other series I’ve written.  It will have romantic military suspense and romantic suspense stories, bound to keep my reader’s on the edge of their seats, as well as provide my well known intense, emotional, gritty, edgy love stories.  This series will debut mid-October of 2015, so be looking for it via my website, www.lindsaymckenna.com.

What are your dreams and plans for your future as a writer?

I’ve transitioned from being only a brick-n-mortar author to what is known in the Publishing Industry as a “Hybrid” author.  That means I continue to write for one of the Big 5 publishers where readers get paperback/ebooks from me.  

But I’ve transition to have created Blue Turtle Publishing, my own Indie ebook company, too.  My first project is ZONE OF FIRE, BTP, $.99, releases 2.1.2015 with the support of Harlequin approving this joint author and brick ’n mortar publisher project.  It is a novella epilogue to NEVER SURRENDER, HQN, July 2014, Shadow Warriors series.   Readers will find out what is happening to ex-SEAL Gabe Griffin and Bay Thorn’s life.  And even better?  It’s what I term “bridge novella” to TAKING FIRE, 2.25.2015, as well!  Gabe Griffin and Mike Tarik are SEAL brothers and best of friends.  If you’ve read NO SURRENDER, Mike shows up in the last chapter of the book where he’s introduced to my readers.  Now, ZONE OF FIRE catches up on him and the trouble he’s gotten into.  Then, in TAKING FIRE, Mike’s story, you find out a lot more of the kind of trouble he’s entangled in.  After that release, there is a “directors cut”, ON FIRE, that will be released on 3.1.2015, that is a continuation of Mike and Khat’s story.  It is ebook only released through Harlequin on all major ebook platforms.

To be sure, TAKING FIRE has a complete HEA and readers do not have to buy ON FIRE to complete it.  Those readers who fall in love with Mike and Khat and want to find out “what else happened to them,” will love ON FIRE, which is a 40,000 word novella!  And it too, has an HEA!  You’re just finding out more about their lives with one another, which many, many readers have been begging for.  Now, it’s a reality.

And in truth, I’m pioneering once again in the publishing world with this 3-book/ebook paradigm idea. It’s like three box cars on a train, linked to one another, giving readers a choice of how many of the three offerings they want to read.  Each of these three book/ebooks, has it’s own story, satisfying conclusion and happily-ever-after.  They can pick and choose as they see fit.  But if the readers  get hooked on story 1: ZONE OF FIRE is first of the three offerings, introducing Mike Tarik back to the NEVER SURRENDER readers, and 2: TAKING FIRE, is paperback/ebook on Mike and Khat’s story.  And 3: ON FIRE is an ebook continuation with the next step in their lives.  Each has a beginning, middle and end, with an HEA.  So the reader can stop at any point and not feel cheated or feel like they’re being forced to buy the next ebook or book.  

What I hope is that readers will fall so hard for Mike Tarik and Khat, as being terribly sympathetic characters you want to root and cheer for, that their continuing 3 ebook/book/ebook story will draw you into reading all three of them!  We’ll find out and I’m eager for this three-some of ebook, paperback/ebook and ebook, as to how readers respond to my new idea.  Do let me know!  Just contact me at www.lindsaymckenna.com.

The next offering will be in Wet ’N Wild 9-author bundle which will come out June 1 through August 31, 2015.  And it will feature nine authors writing about SEALs or former SEAL romantic military or romantic suspense.  These will be full length novels, which are fantastic for the readers   They will be getting nine full length novels for only $.99 for a limited time.  This will be ebook only and will be available on all ereader platforms.  And there will be a pre-order button on those platforms that allow it.  This is a very exciting project because the women authors I’m working with another New York Times bestselling author Jean Breashear, plus seven other terrific military vet authors to deliver this bundle to you!


Would you like to say something to the readers to encourage them to read your books?

If readers want to be completely embraced emotionally in the lives of the hero and heroine, even the secondary characters, this is a hallmark of my writing.  If they love intense, emotional stories that are gritty and edgy, or wanting something fresh and different, they might try one of my books.   I’ve always written romantic suspense in my historicals, paranormals and contemporary romances.  I love danger not only externally threatening my characters, but also the deep wounds and issues within them that they must also over come to find love with one another.  If you love books that keep you on the edge of your seat, that keep you guessing with the twists and turns of the plot, you’ll find my books do just that.  If you want to be swept away, taken to the place where my intrepid, brave characters survive, live to find love, you’ll like the type of book I create.   My readers will vow that my books are “page turners.”

Presently, for 2015 I have three series out:  Harlequin’s Wyoming series, which is about cowboys. And Harlequin’s Shadow Warriors series which is about men and women in combat.  My Indie Delos Series,  about a global charity organization who is forced into providing protection and security for their eighteen hundred charities, is my third series under Blue Turtle Publishing, my Indie company.  Delos has been targeted by a billionaire villain who has sworn revenge against them because his two sons were killed by Tal and Matt Culver.  The Culver family owns Delos.  He will stop at nothing to destroy the charities in countries around the world, swearing blood revenge against the Culver Family and Delos.  

Artemus Security, owned and created by Delos, is there to protect those people who volunteer to Delos to help the under privileged, the uneducated, stop kidnappings of women and children who are captured for the sex trade, protect abused women by helping them get a small business so they can have money for their children and themselves.  Delos Charity is committed to help the many around the world who need this kind of support in order to get back on their feet.  Tal, Matt and Alexa Culver run Artemus because all were in the military.  Tal is the CEO.  

These stories are not only about the men and women security contractors who work for Artemus, but also of the many volunteers who run the Delos charities in a specific country.  This is ebook only stories and will be available on all major ereader platforms.  Even better?  A hundred thousand story will be $4.99 in 2015, so offers readers the same great writing I always give them.  That is the advantage of owning my own publishing empire.  I, as the author, can offer my stories directly to the reader for less money.  It’s a win-win for author and reader!









AMAZON | B&N | INDIEBOUND | ITUNES | KOBO | 







$100.00 VISA Gift Card 
or Six Book Set of SHADOW WARRIOR Series 
by Lindsay McKenna




a Rafflecopter giveaway





1 commenti:

  1. Great Interview! Thank you for hosting today!

    ReplyDelete