Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Book review: Fire Me Up by Kimberly Kincaid

If you can’t stand the heat…

This is how the blurb starts, and nothing could better describe this book. The chemistry between Adrian, the hot chef on a Harley, and Teagan, female paramedic with a kickass attitude, sparks during their meet cute and grows throughout the book, until fireworks explode.

I hosted the blog tour for this book a few weeks ago, but when I’d signed up for it, I didn’t have time to review it in time for the tour. I was very intrigued by the blurb, though, so I put it next in my long TBR list, and immediately dived headlong into it as soon as I finished the other ARCs I had to review.

This story is intense, there’s no other way to put it. It’s a mix of chemistry, angst, romance, all blended together to create the perfect recipe for a page turner. It will keep you on the edge of your seat, make you swoon, have you hold your breath until the very last chapter, and leave you with a smile on your face. 

The heat level is rather high, and if I have to be honest, some of the sex scenes were a little too long. Even though I understand that, given the heat building between them, these scenes fit in the story, I would’ve enjoyed the story even without them, especially since they were rather descriptive and I’m not particularly a fan of long, graphic scenes, as you know if you’ve read any of my previous reviews. In a way, I felt as if they they sort of pulled me away from the story, shifting the focus from the main plot and events.

Apart from this little personal preference of mine, which I’m sure readers who like sexy romance will find perfect, the rest of the story flowed without a single hitch. I liked the early interactions between Adrian and Teagan, when they first met, and how it all turned very quickly into something strong and, well, hot. I was totally hooked (and holding my breath) when I got to the angsty part. You’ll have to read it to know what I’m talking about but you can rest assured that the suspense will keep you glued to the pages.

Teagan is a great heroine, and a very relatable one, too. She’s stubborn and strong, always wanting to care for everyone else but never letting anyone take care of her. Her mother, a chef, left her when she was only a young girl, and her father had to raise her all by himself. This is the reason why Teagan hates the kitchen and steers clear of her father’s kitchen at the Double Shot grill and bar. She’s happy to help manage the bar in her spare time, but the kitchen is off-limits. When her father gets sick, and their chef quits on a busy Friday night, her worst nightmare comes to life: she’ll have to step into the kitchen and cook for the patrons. 

In comes Adrian, the chef she rescued just a few hours before after he crashed his Harley. With his bad boy attitude and cocky comebacks he’s both annoying and adorable, and I found myself wanting to strangle him and wanting to hug him in the same scene. :) But that was one of the things that made him so interesting: the mysterious past, the cocky attitude, the way he was torn between wanting Teagan and wanting to run from her. I didn’t expect to like him as much as I did. Besides, who wouldn’t dream of having a handsome chef cooking for her? I definitely wouldn’t shoo him away if he showed up in my kitchen! LOL

I enjoyed this book very much and, being the first book by this author, I was pleasantly surprised. I will definitely read more, and I’m looking forward to the next book in the series, which if I’m not mistaken, will be about the bouncer/barman Brennan. There’s a sneak preview at the end of the book and, oh my, December won’t come fast enough! In the meantime, I will add all the previous books to my TBR list and, hopefully, I’ll manage to tackle them before the next book comes out. 
However, you do not need to read the previous books in order to enjoy this one.










0 commenti:

Post a Comment