Thursday, April 9, 2015

Book review: Secret Love by Christine Warner

If you have been following for a while, you'll probably remember this book, for which I'd hosted the book blast back in July. 
Back then, I'd received a copy for the event, but since I hadn’t signed up for the review, I’d almost forgotten about this book, until I found it in the ARC folder and, since I was looking for something quick to read while waiting for another ARC, I decided to try it.

What a super sweet read! 
I’ll admit that, when I read the blurb at first, I wasn’t all too keen to read it, as it is set in the fifties and I’m usually more a fan of contemporary romance. However, as soon as I started reading it I changed my mind. It doesn’t really give you the feel of being old-fashioned, and the heroine, Lizzie, is a strong woman who knows what she wants even at 23 and fresh out of college. 

I loved the first chapter, which is set ten years before the actual story. It’s when Lizzie, a thirteen-year-old tomboy, decides to declare her huge crush to Wayne, her brother’s friend who’s nearly eighteen. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to guess what Wayne’s reaction to her words is, and it makes you feel the urge to step into the book and hug Lizzie.

Fast forward ten years: Wayne is the principal of the school where Lizzie has started working as a teacher. Her crush for Wayne has meanwhile turned into something deeper and more mature, and she finds it hard to look at him without feeling all giddy.

What she’s not expecting is that in the meantime, Wayne has understood his feelings for her have evolved, and he’s not seeing her as a little girl anymore. Problem is: she’s his best friend’s little sister and he doesn’t want to overstep a border that might potentially ruin his friendship.

Will they confess their feelings for each other and live happily ever after? You won’t know unless you read it (my lips are sealed!). 

I’m so happy that I had the chance to read this story. If you’re looking for a sweet, clean (at last!) and romantic read that will warm your heart, this is definitely the book for you.










0 commenti:

Post a Comment