Friday, April 10, 2015

Book review: Too Hot To Handle by Katie Rose

As approved reader for Loveswept on NetGalley, I had the chance to download this book a few weeks ago, when I discovered it during the blog tour. I’ve developed a thing for baseball romance, and even though I hadn’t read the previous book in this series, I found the blurb intriguing, so I decided to give it a chance.

Nikki isn’t your typical damsel in distress who needs Prince Charming to sweep her off her feet. She’s divorced and has had to work hard to pay her ex-husband’s debts, so she’s not one to easily fall for men’s charm.

Jake, on the other hand, is the typical womanizer who knows he can use and dispose of women as he pleases—definitely not my cup of tea, as you know if you’ve read any of my reviews.

When Nikki is hired as PR rep to save the reputation of Jake’s baseball team, and change their image from thugs to professional players, Jake’s teammates place a bet: if he can make Nikki fall in love with him, Jake will win the best locker.

Jake has no doubt he can make Nikki fall for him in a matter of hours, but when she rejects him without even blinking, his confidence falters. Maybe it’s because she’s not drooling over him like every other woman he’s met, but Jake makes it his mission to change her mind.

Nikki is not looking for a man, especially not a womanizer who can’t commit to a serious relationship, but when they first meet, something sparks between them and she finds herself questioning her decision of staying away from him.

Once she caves and decides to get him off her system by accepting his attempts at seductions, things get even more complicated. It was supposed to be a no-strings attached affair, but she quickly realizes she can’t hide her feelings when she sees the real person behind the jock everyone knows.

Jake has a big character growth in this book. When he first enters the story, I didn’t like him in the least. He seemed very superficial, the stereotypical baseball hotshot who plays with women’s hearts and never cares about anyone else but himself and his big ego.
As the story progresses, though, and Joaquin (a young Hispanic boy) enters the picture, things start to change and I saw him through different eyes. I loved seeing how he changed, how he grew up and became a real man, capable of committing, of taking care of other people without expecting anything in return.

As for Nikki, my heart broke a little for her when she realized that she had feelings for him even though she knew he’d never be in for the long run. I liked her determination and her strong will, and she really made for a very relatable heroine.

The one thing that, guess what, didn’t work too well for me was the amount of graphic, very detailed scenes. I could’ve done with their first time being a little more descriptive, if it was necessary to make the reader understand their chemistry, but all the others were definitely too much for me. I would’ve liked the book without them all the same.

Anyway, if you’re not turned-off by this, you should pick up a copy of this book, and spend a few hours with a hot baseball player and a kickass heroine.












0 commenti:

Post a Comment