Friday, June 26, 2015

Blog tour: Falling Fast by Tina Wainscott


Falling Fast
Falling Fast # 1  
By: Tina Wainscott
Releasing June 16, 2015
Loveswept



Fans of Jasinda Wilder and Colleen Hoover will adore this emotional new small-town romance—a smoldering tale of first love and long-awaited redemption from USA Today bestselling author Tina Wainscott.

Raleigh West works in an auto shop day and night, trying to put his broken past out of mind. It’s been seven years since the fiery crash that landed his teenage sweetheart in the hospital . . . and him in jail. In an instant, he lost everything: his passion for racing, his hope of escaping his father’s shameful legacy, and the only girl he ever loved. Raleigh hasn’t seen her since that awful night. Never got a chance to apologize. And never forgave himself, either.

When brave, beautiful Mia Wentworth returns to the Florida coast for the first time in what seems like forever, it’s not to see Raleigh. Even so, the moment she arrives she can feel his presence like a gust of wind that gives her goose bumps. Opening her heart to him again seems impossible. But staying away? That might be harder still. Lucky for them both, Mia’s never been the kind of woman to take the easy way out.





USA Today bestselling author Tina Wainscott has always loved the combination of romance and suspense, because nothing complements falling in love better than being hunted down. The author of more than thirty novels and novellas, Wainscott creates characters with baggage, past hurts, and vulnerabilities. They go through hell, find love, and, at the end, find peace in who they are and everything they’ve gone through. And isn’t that what everyone wants?




Hello Tina! Welcome to Roberta’s Dreamworld and thank you for your time. First of all, tell us something about yourself, both as a writer and as a person.

Falling Fast is my 30th book, which is just amazing to think about. I’ve always had romance in my stories, though they range from light and heavy paranormal, to romantic suspense, to psychological suspense. I love the life affirming aspect of romance, but also exploring how the characters overcome their baggage and vulnerabilities to love themselves.

I’m married to a wonderfully supportive man and have a fantastic daughter who’s a voracious reader (though too young to read my books!). I’ve lived in Southwest Florida my whole life, but I take forays into the North Carolina mountains for a couple of months in the summer to escape the heat (which I’ve never gotten used to!).

How/when did you realize you wanted to become a writer?

I have always been a storyteller, since I can remember. I made up “movies” for my friends and I to act out, then graduated to writing short stories and then novels. Interestingly (or oddly, depending on how you look at it), I’ve always been drawn to paranormal, suspense, and drama.

Let’s speak about Falling Fast”. We’ve read the synopsis but can you tell us a little more about what the book is about?

I’ve always liked the idea of throwing together two people who have a tough history, like in Falling Fast. Raleigh was the bad boy who raced illegally. Mia was a seventeen-year-old cancer survivor who desperately wanted to make up for those years of facing death and the horrors of treatment. Their summer romance burned hot and bright—and then was extinguished when a racing accident severely burns her and sends Raleigh to jail. They are lost to each other … but life throws them together in an unexpected way. (Or, ahem, the author does!)

How did you come up with the idea and how did you create the characters?

I had been doing some research for a story/series idea I was playing around with about illegal street racing. As exciting and sexy as the Fast and Furious movies make it sound, it’s also rife with danger, including to innocent victims. I didn’t go forward with the series, but the idea of a girl who’s riding with one of the drivers and is seriously injured stayed with me. They started coming to life, Mia, a girl who’d fought and won over childhood cancer and was trying to fit back into life. Feeling obliged to live life to the fullest when she’s barely feeling safe. A summer vacation to a small beachside community that doesn’t look like it’s going to be much fun at all … until she meets the mechanic who’s working on her parents’ car. He’s just the opposite—worldly, street-wise, and he lives to tune cars for speed. And going fast himself.

I could see their romance playing out, even though it’s the story’s background. How he brings her to life. How she makes him see his value. And then a cocky racer destroys it all. She’s severely burned, and returns to her home thousands of miles away to be treated. Seven years pass, and then fate brings them together again when her grandmother passes away and leaves her beach cottage to both Mia and Raleigh, who’s like a grandson to her.

If you should describe your books in three words, what would you pick?

Sexy, emotional, and fun

Do you have any favorite authors and did they influence your choice of the genre?

My early influence was Alfred Hitchcock short story compilations. I devoured stories about human nature, including the dark side. I then read the early V.C. Andrews sagas. See, dark stuff. Then I read early Danielle Steele. Somewhere along the way, though, I knew I wanted a happy ending. The people in the stories I read went through hell, but I wanted them to get the happy ending they deserved.

What else do you enjoy doing, when you’re not writing?

Reading, swimming, walking, yoga, meditating, and hanging with friends.

As a writer do you get support from your family and friends?

I’ve been fortunate to have supportive parents, and then a supportive hubby. He bought me my first computer when we were dating, so I could write better and faster. That’s when I knew he was the ONE! I also belong to a fabulous Romance Writers of America chapter that has a fantastic support system.

What are your dreams and plans for your future as a writer?

I’d love to keep creating stories and people for as long as I find joy in it. Of course, being able to make a living from what I spend most of my time doing is nice, and having a movie made from one of my stories would be ultra cool!

Would you like to say something to the readers to encourage them to read your books?

My goal as a writer is to draw you into a story with characters you can relate to. They have flaws, vulnerabilities, and hopes just like you. And like you, they go through tough times, self doubt, and crises. And they find the inner strength we all possess to survive and thrive, just like you can.






Raleigh looked up, and his eyes softened in a way she knew, and felt, right down to her bones. He didn’t smile, but he stood, his body tensing as he took in her approach. Friendly or hostile? He was no doubt trying to figure it out. She tried to smile, to let him know that she wasn’t here to yell at him, but her face felt frozen. Paralyzed. Hell, was she going to freeze up again?
She tried to utter a greeting, but her dry throat prevented the words from emerging. She waved instead.
Raleigh stepped out from behind the stone, coming toward her. His eyes hungrily roamed over her, skipping from her face down her body, then quickly back again. Not lustily but as if sating a deep thirst. And there, beneath the question in his eyes, lay a hint of a smile. Suddenly she was transported back to that first time she’d gone into the garage just to see him. To ask him more about the races. He’d looked both pleased and surprised.
“Mia,” he said, her name loaded with more than she could interpret.
For a moment, she forgot about the scars that would be visible in the bright sunlight. She forgot to breathe. “Raleigh,” she said. She thought she was smiling, but it might look more like a grimace. Gawd, get hold of yourself. You’re just here to let him know you don’t hate him. “I—”
“Mia! We have to go!” Her mother’s voice pounded harshly from behind her.
Mia turned, spotting her mother duck-walking over in spiked heels that kept sinking into the earth, hands fisted at her sides. She turned back to Raleigh. “I just wanted to say . . . I don’t —”
“Mia,” her mother ground out.
“Blame you,” Mia managed, and quickly walked toward her mother, not wanting her anywhere near Raleigh. He would probably think she was still that timid seventeen-year-old who was afraid her parents would find out that she was sneaking out at night. But she wanted to protect him from all the angry, imprudent things that would gush from her mother’s mouth.
“What are you doing?” she hissed as Mia hooked her arm through hers and spun her back toward the casket.
“It’s called closure, Mother. The last time we spoke, he’d called to see how I was doing, and I hung up on him.”
“Well, he deserved it,” she shot back, flicking a glance backward.
Mia fought not to do the same. She didn’t want to see what expression he might have. Disgust. Sympathy. Regret. Or, even worse, just dismissal. “No, he didn’t.”
“She was talking to him,” her mother said when they reached her father. “She went to him.”
Mia met her father’s curious and disconcerted expression. “I just wanted him to know I wasn’t angry at him.” Though, dammit, she hadn’t gotten that part out.
“Why do you care what he thinks?” her father asked in his low, emotionless voice.

“Or do you care?” her mother asked. “You’re not still—”

“Of course not.” Even uttering the words in love was preposterous. Mia couldn’t help herself, glancing toward Raleigh. He was kneeling in front of the stone again, but his eyes were on her. “It was just a summer romance. Teenage hormones.”
They seemed gratified by that last declaration, even though it sounded hollow to her ears. “We should go,” her father said, nodding toward the people now milling by the limousine.
Once they reached it, she shot one more look toward Raleigh. She wanted to believe her recent declaration, but she felt exactly like that girl who had fallen fast and hard for the boy who’d made her a woman.


A beautiful story of redemption and second chances. I was immediately pulled into the story and my heart warmed for Mia, a cancer survivor who, at only 17, had already kicked cancer’s butt twice. Now that she’s hopefully getting better, she wants to live life to the fullest, doing everything that she’s always been denied. Stuck in a small beach town in Florida for the summer, bored and feeling out of place she meets Raleigh West, 19 year old mechanic who loves fixing and racing fast cars.

Fast forward 7 years.

Mia is back in Florida for her grandmother’s funeral and after a few words I was shocked: that summer when she met Raleigh, and apparently they fell madly in love, she also ended up in hospital, fighting for her life after a car crash that left her scarred for life and put Raleigh in jail. 

Neither Mia or Raleigh ever managed to get closure, to say goodbye and treasure their weeks together as a young summer romance. Now that Mia’s grandmother has left each of them half of her house, they’re forced to work together and, hopefully, get that closure and move on with their lives. Trouble is: neither has ever gotten over their summer romance so being together will be tougher than they’d expected.

I enjoyed this story because it involved important themes, strong emotions and a bit of angst and tension too, toward the end. I liked how they slowly went from trying to pretend it had only been a summer romance to opening up their hearts, challenging their differences and facing obstacles along the way. It wasn’t an easy path to their happy ending, and I liked how, through all the tough times, neither wanted to give up and take the easy way out. 

I liked Raleigh’s selflessness and his determination to be a better man, even though he came from the wrong side of the tracks.

I liked Mia’s hunger for life, how she wanted to live without regrets and her devotion for Raleigh. She could’ve gone back to Minnesota and forgotten about him, but she stood by him even when her parents gave her grief for loving him.

Raleigh’s little half-brother, Cody, was adorable. He was super cute and I really liked his interactions both with Raleigh and with Mia. I didn’t like Rose, his mother, very much, but she only has few and short appearances, so it’s no big deal.

There were a couple of things that didn’t work too well for me. Call me a prude, but I could’ve done without the descriptive sex scenes, as a couple of them took me a little away from the story, especially the one toward the end of the book, when the tension was at one of the highest peaks. 

I also felt the ending was a little rushed and it left me hanging. Don’t get me wrong: there’s no cliffhanger and you get the whole story, but when I reached the last page I wasn’t sure if the author left that small unresolved issue (can’t say what) because it’ll be continued in another book. I just wanted to know what was going to happen to Rose. 

All in all, I enjoyed this story and up until the end I was curious to know how things were going to work out for these star crossed lovers.

If you like second chance and stories of redemption, this book is a good choice. 








| B&N | ITUNES | KOBO |












3 commenti:

  1. Thank you for hosting Tina and FALLING FAST!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for hosting and for the review of FALLING FAST!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for hosting and for the review of FALLING FAST!

    ReplyDelete