Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Blog tour: Taking Heart by T.J. Kline


Taking Heart
Healing Harts #2
By: T.J. Kline
Released June 2, 2015
Avon Impulse



T. J. Kline's Healing Harts series continues as a soldier suffering from PTSD and a therapy dog trainer find that some scars can only be healed by love...

Julia Hart knows how much good she does training therapy dogs—it's what helped her overcome her own trials after a relationship turned unexpectedly violent. But moving beyond her mistakes meant trusting only her family with her heart.

Dylan, a former soldier, has run out of hope for recovery. Plagued by nightmares and flashbacks, he doubts anything will help him overcome his PTSD. When his brother convinces him to try one last time, he agrees to get a therapy dog.

Dylan didn't expect to find Julia or a chance for a "normal" future again. But when Julia's attacker is released from prison, Dylan and Julia will have to face the past together.





T. J. Kline was raised competing in rodeos and rodeo queen competitions since the age of 14, She has thorough knowledge of the sport as well as the culture involved. She has had several articles about rodeo published in the past in small periodicals as well as a more recent how-to article for RevWriter. She is also an avid reader and book reviewer for both Tyndale and Multnomah.



Hello T.J.! Welcome to Roberta’s Dreamworld and thank you for your time. First of all, tell us something about yourself, both as a writer and as a person.

I write sexy yet sweet contemporary romances set in small-towns with deeply emotional characters whose flaws and downfalls make them real, yet somehow they still find their happily ever after. I’m a mother of three teens, now with one at college. I married my high school sweetheart long after high school when he swept me off my feet. We also have a proverbial “zoo” at home with 3 cats, three dogs and two horses.

How/when did you realize you wanted to become a writer?

I always loved reading and, according to my mother, I picked up my first Harlequin romance when I stole hers from her bedside table at two years old. But I knew I wanted to be a writer in 4th Grade when our teacher gave us an assignment to write and illustrate a story to later read to the Kindergarten class. I loved every second of it, got an A, and was hooked. I never stopped writing after that.

Let’s speak about “Taking Heart”. We’ve read the synopsis but can you tell us a little more about what the book is about?

Readers were able to meet Julia in the first book of the Healing Harts series, Heart’s Desire, but this story gives readers the deep look at why she trains service animals and how that past trauma has affected her and continues to affect her future. We also meet Dylan Granger, a medically retired Special Forces Medic, suffering from PTSD from his work in Afghanistan. He is persuaded by his brother to see if a service dog can help him. The last thing he expects is to find another wounded soul that understands his pain. As the two of them find they share more than trauma, Julia’s past threatens them both.

How did you come up with the idea and how did you create the characters?

I have seen so many people I know and love suffer from PTSD, people who you would never guess, and wanted to bring light to the reality of this. It’s not just something they can “get over,” it’s something that affects people in varying degrees and, most of the time, for the rest of their lives. They can’t simply “forget” what happened and the effects manifest in everyday situations that can’t be avoided. When I started the Healing Harts series (with Heart’s Desire and Jessie, a horse trainer who rescues abused horses), I knew I wanted to bring the importance of service dogs to light. Julia was the perfect candidate to do that.

If you should describe your books in three words, what would you pick?

Sexy, sweet and real.

Do you have any favorite authors and did they influence your choice of the genre?

I have eclectic reading tastes and will bounce around. I tend to stick to romance simply because I love it. It makes me happy, fulfilled and hopeful. I don’t have any one particular favorite. I have A LOT of favorites! People like Codi Gary, Carolyn Brown and Candis Terry. I was drawn into romance because of authors like Connie Mason and Johanna Lindsey but kept there by authors like Nora Roberts. Romance as a whole is a wealth of amazing talent.

What else do you enjoy doing, when you’re not writing?

I love spending time with my kids and my animals. Most summers, you’ll find me at a lake camping or fishing (and reading!) or camping at the beach. If I’m not there, I’m likely working my horses. If it’s any other time of the year, I’m probably watching one of my boys play football or traveling back from visiting my daughter at school. I’m hoping to find time to start playing guitar again, especially now that my son plays as well but, because I love writing so much, I spend A LOT of time doing it.

As a writer do you get support from your family and friends?

I think I have the most supportive husband and kids on the planet! My husband has always supported my desire to write and I can’t begin to tell you how many “fix your own” dinner nights my kids have had. My daughter has always been one of my Beta readers and offers great advice, even though romance isn’t her genre of choice.

What are your dreams and plans for your future as a writer?

For a long time, I didn’t let myself really dream about my future as a writer. Just being able to write was the dream. Now that it’s a reality, the dream is to hit the list, the NY Times. Another biggie would be to see one of my books turned into a television show or movie. You know, the same as every other author. :)

Would you like to say something to the readers to encourage them to read your books?

If you love cowboys, small towns, feisty heroines, laughter and character-driven romance between flawed, realistic people, with a little spice thrown in then you’d love my books.








AMAZON US | AMAZON UK |

B & N | ITUNES | KOBO |











1 commenti:

  1. Thank you for hosting TAKING HEART and T.J. Kline!

    ReplyDelete